View Cart  Checkout

  • Sign Contracts Online

    Create and sign documents online

  • ITAR Compliance

    Compliance resources for DDTC controlled exports.

  • Free Link Tracking

    Charts. Graphs. Tracking. Free.
    No sign-up, no fees. Try it now!


State Department Questions

  • Who determines what items are on the USML?

    The Department of State makes the determination, with the concurrence of the Department of Defense and in consultation with the Department of Commerce.

  • If I have an item that is not on the munitions list, can I just go ahead and export it without a license?

    Not necessarily. If the item has dual (military-civilian) use, it is on the Commerce Control List (CCL) and may be licensable by the Department of Commerce pursuant to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).

  • If Im not sure what list my item is on, USML or CCL, how can I find out?

    You can submit a request for a commodity jurisdiction (CJ) determination. The request should be addressed to Mr. William J. Lowell, Director, Office of Defense trade Controls.

  • How long will it take to get an answer?

    Commodity jurisdiction requests normally require processing times of 4 to 6 months, or even longer. So plan ahead.

  • What are the USGs criteria for determination?

    The USG considers whether the items was specifically designed, developed, configured, adapted or modified for military application; whether it has predominately civil applications; whether it has performance equivalent to an item used for civil applications; or has significant military or intelligence applicability such that ITAR control is necessary.

  • Comments are closed.